- April 5, 2020
- Posted by: Ron Frechette
- Category: Blog, Featured
Be Mindful of COVID-19 Cyber Scams
GoldSky Cyber Security Engineers are seeing a dramatic increase in the level of cyber-criminal activity taking advantage of the hysteria surrounding the new coronavirus, COVID-19. We are hearing reports of websites offering to sell phony products, and using bogus emails, texts, and social media posts as a hoax to take your money or get ahold of your sensitive data and sell it on the Dark Net.
These emails and posts may be promoting awareness and prevention tips, and false information about cases in your local area. They may also ask for victim donations, advice on treatments, or send malicious email attachments.
Tips to help protect from COVID-19 Cyber Scams:
- Don’t click on links from sources you don’t know.
- Make sure the anti-malware and anti-virus software on your computer is up to date.
- Don’t click emails claiming to be from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or experts saying that have information about the virus. For the most up-to-date information about COVID-19, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cdc.gov/coronavirus and the World Health Organization (WHO) www.coronavirus.gov to learn about ways you can help keep yourself, your family, and our shared community safe.
- Ignore online offers for vaccinations. Once a vaccination is available, you will be hearing about it from your local healthcare providers and major media outlets.
- Do your homework when it comes to donations, whether through charities or crowdfunding sites. Don’t let anyone rush you into making a donation. If someone wants donations in cash, by gift card, or by wiring money, don’t do it.
- Be alert to “investment opportunities.” The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is warning people about online promotions, including on social media, claiming that the products or services of publicly-traded companies can prevent, detect, or cure coronavirus and that the stock of these companies will dramatically increase in value as a result.
It is important that we all implement precautionary measures as we navigate this outbreak together. We have a responsibility to ourselves, loved ones, and our community to take the steps necessary to protect one another, especially if we have the means and ability to do so.
GoldSky understands the complexities our SMB clients and partners face in order to maintain properly secured and compliant networks and infrastructures. We will continue to provide vigilant, common-sense guidance to our clients to help keep them safe in cyberspace throughout the COVID-19 outbreak and beyond.
Our many wishes to you and your families to stay healthy and strong.
GoldSky Cyber Security Solutions has offices in Denver, Orlando, Nashville, Washington D.C & Tampa. GoldSky offers reliable 24/7/365 security solutions to Small & Midsized businesses throughout the entire U.S. Get in touch to learn more on how GoldSky can help your company achieve your cybersecurity goals.